Skip to main content

Citizenship Test

This citizenship guide is designed to assist those preparing for the Canadian citizenship test.



This citizenship guide is designed to assist those preparing for the Canadian citizenship test.

Copies of actual citizenship tests used by Citizenship and Immigration Canada are not available. The practice tests and sample questions found in this guide can help you to prepare for the test.

For information about applying for Canadian citizenship, the citizenship test, and much more, consult the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Applying for Citizenship research guides. Immigrant service organizations such as Mosaic, may offer classes that help you prepare for the test.


Political Representatives, Parties and Leaders

Consult the following links for listings of federal (Member of Parliament - MP); provincial (Member of the Legislative Assembly - MLA); and municipal (Mayor and city council) political representatives:

Note: The UBC University Endowment Lands do not have a mayor or council. They are an unincorporated area just outside the Vancouver city limits and have no municipal government.

Federal Government

  • Head of State: Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
  • Governor General (Queen's Representative): Julie Payette
  • Prime Minister:  Justin Trudeau, Liberal Party of Canada
  • Leader of the Opposition: Andrew Scheer, Conservative Party of Canada

Federal Political Parties/Leaders

  • Bloc Québécois: Yves-François Blanchet
  • Conservative Party of Canada: Andrew Scheer
  • Green Party of Canada: Elizabeth May
  • Liberal Party of Canada: Justin Trudeau
  • New Democratic Party: Jagmeet Singh

Provincial Government

  • Lieutenant Governor (Queen's Representative): Janet Austin
  • Premier: John Horgan, NDP
  • Leader of the Opposition: Andrew Wilkinson, Liberal

 Language Requirement

When applying for citizenship if you’re 18 to 54 years old you will need to demonstrate you have reached Level 4 or higher in the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) / Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadien (NCLC) for speaking and listening in English or French.  You can do this by:

  • Completing secondary or post-secondary education in English or French, in Canada or abroad.
  • Completing certain government-funded language training programs.
  • Passing the CELPIP or IELTS test.

Complete list of  acceptable documents

Recommended Books