Zines @ VPL
What's a zine?
zine also 'zine, n.
(pronounced zeen, like bean; derived from magazine)
A few good zines
Search the Catalogue
Zine Categories for Browsing
Our circulating zine collection is found on Level 3 of the Central Library. Currently it is a browsing collection within each category (not in title or author order).They can be borrowed just like a book.
- ART & CRAFT (artist books, crafts, fine arts, art crit., photography, performance, film etc.)
- BIKES (cycling, bike culture, motorcycles, bike repair)
- CLASS (class struggle, money, housing, poverty, capitalism, economic inequality, gentrification)
- COMIC (minicomics, cartooning, graphic novels)
- COMPILATION (anthologies with no dominant theme)
- EDUCATION (teaching, subbing, unschooling, alternative education, libraries)
- ENVIRONMENT (issues, sustainability, ecology, urbanism)
- FAMILY (parenting including gay parenting, adoption, divorce, weddings)
- FOOD (cooking, foraging, food politics, food gardening, veganism)
- GENDER (women’s studies & feminism, gender studies, transgender issues, gender performance)
- HISTORY (general discussions excluding political discussions, historical narratives)
- INDIGENOUS (Aboriginal, First Nations, Inuit, Métis, anti-colonialism and decolonization)
- LEGAL ISSUES (prisons and prisoners, law, know your rights)
- LITERARY (poetry, literature, short stories, fiction, language, lit crit)
- MIND & BODY (both physical and mental, psychology, self-help, dis/ability, addiction)
- MUSIC (music reviews, band zines)
- PERSONAL (personal narratives, memoirs, journals, life writing, anecdotes, ‘perzines’)
- PHILOSOPHY (pure philosophy, some religion/theology, political theory)
- POLITICS (macro, micro, movements, resistance, government)
- PUNK (punk culture, punk houses, discussions/critiques of punk living)
- RACE (racism discussions, anti-racism, white privilege, media analysis)
- RELATIONSHIPS (all relationship zines not associated with family, such as: love, friendship, dating)
- SCIENCE (applied, pure, technology, computers)
- SEXUALITY (lesbianism, gay rights, bisexuality, identity politics, queer theory, sex, sexual activity)
- TRAVEL (adventure stories, travelogues, travel guides, travel narratives)
- WORK (occupations [i.e. food service, trucking, sex trade, etc.], labour stories, unionism)
- ZINES (zine reviews, how to make zines, zine history, zine librarianship)
If you would like to donate your zine or your zine collection to the Vancouver Public Library, please refer to our Donations policy.
The Library reserves the right to decide the disposition of all gifts received. All donated material is reviewed according to the same selection criteria applied to purchased materials. Processing costs and space for housing are considerations.
All gifts become the property of the Vancouver Public Library.
Material that is not needed for the Collection may be sold for the benefit of the Library.
Please note: we do not have facilities to preserve personal zine collections for archival purposes. Email email@example.com if you have any questions. Drop off your zines at any branch of VPL Attn: Zine Committee.
I read zines