Getting Started with an eReader
Getting Started with Kobo (or Other) E-Ink Reader
Kobo (Aura, Touch, Mini, Glo, WiFi), Nook, or other compatible E-Ink Reader
To borrow eBooks using a Kobo or Nook device involves a two step process. First download eBook to a computer using free Adobe Digital Editions software. Then copy/transfer to your compatible eReader.
Downloading eBooks and transferring them to your device is relatively straightforward. The details will vary slightly depending on the device but the basic steps are outlined here.
- Adobe Digital Editions
- Kobo (Aura, Touch, WiFi, Glo, Mini)
- For Kobo ARC or VOX see Tablets and Smartphones
Install Adobe Digital Editions on Your Computer (it's free)
- Click the link that says Download Now
- Choose Windows or Mac, depending on your computer
- Download and install the software
- When the program launches for the first time, you’ll be prompted to enter your Adobe ID and password to authorize your computer
- You can access the authorization information by clicking the Help section in Adobe Digital Editions
- To change or re-set your authorization use these instructions
Sign Up for An OverDrive Account (it's free)
- On your computer, go to the OverDrive Account Sign up page
- Provide your email address and create a password (Keep a note of this - you’ll need it shortly)
- OverDrive will send a verification email to your email address. You will need to click on the link in the email to verify your new OverDrive account.
Authorize Your Adobe Digital Editions With Your OverDrive Account
- With Adobe Digital Editions open, click on Help in the top left of the screen and select Authorize Computer...
- Chage the eBook Vendor to OverDrive
- Enter in your OverDrive Account email and password and click on Authorize
Find and Borrow eBooks
- Visit VPL to Go on your computer
- Now you can browse or search for eBooks
- When you find an available title that you’d like to borrow, click on the item to select it
- Now click the Borrow button
- If you see Place Hold instead of Borrow, the item is not currently available
- You can place a hold if you wish, then return to searching for an available title
- After Signing in with your library card number and PIN, you will be taken to the Bookshelf section of your account - the title is now checked out to you
- The next step is to download it to your computer
- You can complete the download at any time during the loan period by signing in to your account and going to the Bookshelf section
Download eBooks to Your Computer and Transfer to Your eReader
- Connect your eReader to your computer using the USB cable included with your device
- Follow any instructions on the eReader's screen that say Manage or Connect
- Once your device is recognized, it should show up as an icon in the left-hand panel of Adobe Digital Editions in Read view
- To copy a book onto your device using Adobe Digital Editions, select the title and right click and copy to device, or drag and drop the eBook onto the device icon
- The first time you copy a title to your eReader, the Adobe Digital Editions software should automatically authorize your device with the same Adobe ID you used to authorize your computer
Other Things You Can Do...
- View Only Items that are Currently Available
- Place Holds on eBooks that are Checked Out
- Check the Status of Your Holds
- Place an Advanced Hold (Renew Titles)
- Return Titles Before the Expiry Date
To determine at a glance which titles are available, look at the open book icon in the top right corner of the eBook cover:
- Dark Grey icon means that the title is available to be borrowed
- Pale Grey icon means that all copies of the title are currently checked out
When browsing by genre or format, it is possible to hide all items that are currently checked out - look for the blue box on the left side of the screen that says Show me only titles with copies available.
Place Holds on eBooks that are Checked Out
If all copies of a title are in use, you can place a hold:
- Select the eBook cover you are interested in, then click the ‘Place a Hold’ button
- Sign in to your VPL to Go account with your library card number and PIN - Note: this is a separate account from My VPL where you would manage your library account for both physical and eBook/eAudiobook materials
- Enter or confirm your email address to receive notification
- When the title becomes available, you will receive an email notice
- You will have 72 hours from the time the email was sent to check out the eBook
- If you do not check it out within 72 hours, it will go to the next person on the list
- You can have a maximum of 5 holds at once
Sign in to your VPL to Go account with your library card number and PIN - Note: this is a separate account from My VPL where you would manage your library account for both physical and eBook/eAudiobook materials.
- Tap on Account in the top right of the screen
- Select Holds from the menu on the right
- You will be able to see your position in the queue
- You can also cancel the hold from this menu or change the email address for notification
Not finished with your eBook or downloadbale audiobook? Click on the Renew icon to place an advance hold on titles you currently have checked out. Renewing puts you in line to borrow a title again once your first checkout expires.
The option to renew a title becomes available three days before the title is set to expire, appearing next to the title on your Bookshelf in your VPL to Go account. You can only use the renew feature once for each checkout.
How to Place an Advanced Hold
2. Go to your Bookshelf, select the Renew icon next to the title you'd like to renew - Note: This option does not appear until three days before the title is supposed to expire
If there are no existing holds on a title, the Renew icon will be green (see example below). You can borrow this title again immediately once your first checkout expires - Note: you will need to re-download the eBook.
If there are existing holds on a title, the Renew icon will be greyed out (see example below). You can still use the renew feature to reserve a spot on the title's wait list so you can borrow it again as soon as it's available.
3. Enter and confirm your email address in the renewal form, and click the Renew icon - the Renew icon on your Bookshelf will now have a green checkmark next to it (see example below).
eBooks and downloadable audiobooks are returned automatically after their lending period has expired. When a title expires, you can simply delete the expired book from your device. For information on returning a title before the expiry date, please visit How to return titles before the end of your lending period.
(exception: OverDrive for Mac does not currently support the return feature)
|Open EPUB & Open PDF|